Tuesday 6 August 2013

Ginger Cake Recipe

I love to bake, I find it so relaxing (eating the finished product isn't too bad either). I've been waiting to share this ginger cake recipe with you, I was first given the recipe back in secondary school and was so proud of myself when I baked it at home for my parents. The ginger cake doesn't call for too many ingredients and is relatively quick to make.

This is still one of my 'go-to' recipes, it tastes great and keeps well for a few days.

It's great plain or with lemon glacé icing drizzled over, any other icing would probably be too much as the cake itself is very dense.


Ingredients
75g soft unsalted butter
200g self raising flour
50g caster sugar
1tsp ground ginger
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g golden syrup
1 egg
4 tbsp milk (plus a little extra if required)

Equipment
Loaf tin (or other cake tin of a similar size)
Pan
Sieve
Mixing bowl
Small bowl/jug
Tablespoon
Wooden spoon
  • Preheat the oven to 160°C (gas mark 3) and grease and line the baking tin.
  • Put the margarine, sugar and golden syrup into the pan over a low heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
  • Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ground ginger into the mixing bowl and mix. Make a well in the centre.
  • Beat the egg and 3tbsp milk in a jug and pour into the well with the contents of the pan.
  • Mix into a thick batter and add more milk if required.
  • Transfer the mixture to the tin and level the mixture.
  • Bake for around 35 minutes (until an inserted knife comes out clean and the cake bounces back if pushed).
  • Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tin, finish cooling on a cooling rack.
Unfortunately when making glacé icing I tend to make up the quantities as I go along so I can't tell you exactly what I used, although the Silverspoon website suggests 125g icing sugar (sieved, else you'll end up with lumpy icing!) to 1tbsp water. I then add lemon juice to taste. Drizzle over the cooled cake.

Enjoy!

Do you have a treasured childhood recipe?

5 comments:

  1. This looks extremely tasty! :)

    Megan xx
    http://meganroisinn.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good, unfortunately it doesn't last long in my house!

      x

      Delete
  2. Yum, this looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, I hope you get chance to try it out sometime!

      x

      Delete
  3. this looks insanely good!xxx

    lucymuses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete